Thursday, November 24, 2016

Book Beginnings: The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater



Happy Friday! Hope you're recovering from all the turkey and sweet potatoes from yesterday, and/or stuffing the leftovers into a crescent roll and beginning the process anew.

Book Beginnings is hosted over at Rose City Reader, and the instructions are simple: take the first sentence or so from a current read, post it, and let us know what your first impressions and thoughts on the quote are!


My Book Beginning

17378527

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

"Richard Gansey III had forgotten how many times he had been told he was destined for greatness. He was bred for it: nobility and purposed coded in both sides of his pedigree."

 Honestly, I really don't think that this quote represents The Raven King, or Maggie Stiefvater's writing, all that well. The Raven King is the third in the Raven Cycle, so I know the characters intimately. This sentence and the following prologue set up Gansey's character's drive for accomplishment before his inevitable death (not a spoiler; they've been saying since first book, first paragraph that he's going to die. I'll believe it when I see (read) it, which I haven't yet!). However, the sentences I love in The Raven King are simply lyrical - if you haven't read Maggie yet, PLEASE do!

5 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this author's books, so I'm definitely intrigued.

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “IN A DARK, DARK WOOD”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give them a try! One of my absolute favorite authors.

      Delete
  2. I've seen this series on quite a few book blogs so it's on my radar. Just need to find time to look into it.
    My Friday post features KEY LARGO BLUES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is always the issue! I just love Maggie Stiefvater because she's so unique - I don't read anything that reminds me of her writing style. It's just entirely different.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now. I met Maggie, she's so funny!


    Brittany's Fantasy

    ReplyDelete